Mushroom & roasted
This rich tasting soup is full of delicious squashflavour and the luscious texture of mushrooms.You can stir in the mushrooms or serve them ontop of the soup for added flair. Recipe developedby Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and StrokeFoundation, 2011.
• 1 small butternut squash, about 2 lbs/1 kg
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 Tbsp. ( 25 ml) fresh parsley, chopped
• 1 tsp. ( 5 ml) curry powder (optional)
• 1/4 tsp. (1 ml) freshly ground pepper
• 4 cups (1 l) no salt added chicken broth
• 2 tsp. ( 10 ml) canola oil
• 1 package ( 8 oz/227 g) mushrooms, thinly
• 1 tsp. ( 5 ml) chopped fresh rosemary, or 1/4
tsp. (1 ml) dried
• 1 tsp. ( 5 ml) chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 tsp.
(2 ml) dried
• 2 Tbsp. ( 25 ml) goat cheese (optional)
Peel and remove seeds from squash and chopinto 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces and place in largebowl. Add 3 of the garlic cloves, parsley, currypowder, if using, pepper and 1/3 cup (75 ml)of the chicken broth and stir to coat. Spreadonto parchment-lined baking sheet and roast in425˚F (220˚C) oven for about 40 minutes or untiltender and golden. Meanwhile, in large non-stick skillet, heat oilover medium high heat and cook mushrooms,remaining garlic, rosemary and thyme for about8 minutes or until golden brown and liquid hasevaporated; set aside. Scrape butternut squash into blender and pureewith 2 cups (500 ml) of the broth until smooth.Pour into saucepan and add remaining broth.Bring to a simmer. Ladle into soup bowls and topwith mushrooms and crumble goat cheese ontop to serve. Serves 6.
Per serving (including goat cheese):
140 calories, 3. 5 g total fat (1 g saturated fat,0 g trans fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 70 mg sodium,24 g carbohydrate, 3 g dietary fibre, 5 g sugars,7 g protein
Maple mashed potatoes withturnips & parsnips
Mellow turnips and parsnips mash well withpotatoes—pure maple syrup brings out theirnatural sweetness, and ginger and nutmeg addwarmth to a classic comfort dish.
• 2 medium turnips, peeled and diced
• 2 large parsnips, peeled and diced
• 2 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and
• 2 Tbsp. ( 30 ml) milk
• 1 Tbsp. ( 15 ml) non-hydrogenated margarine
• 1 Tbsp. ( 15 ml) pure maple syrup
• 1/4 tsp. (2 ml) ground ginger
• 1/4 tsp. (1 ml) ground nutmeg
• 1/4 tsp. (1 ml) white pepper
Put the turnips, parsnips and potatoes into amedium pot and cover with cool water. Bring to asimmer over medium-high heat and cook for 20minutes, or until a chunk of each vegetable canbe easily pierced with the tip of a knife.
Drain well, and mash with a potato masher orpass through a food mill. Stir in milk, margarine,maple syrup, ginger, nutmeg and pepper. Tasteand adjust seasonings, and serve immediately. Serves 6.
Per serving: 120 calories, 2 g total fat (0 gsaturated fat, 0 g trans fat), 0 mg cholesterol,65 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate,
3 g dietary fibre, 7 g sugars, 2 g protein
Our Meal Deal recipes have been analyzed by regisAll recipes meet healthy eating guidelines. For morvisit applemag.ca.