Tis the season for fireplaces—and preventing
the burns they can cause.
The glass on most fireplaces can reach
more than 200°C (400°f) and stay hot for
an hour after the flames are out. Young kids
can be seriously burned in less than a second
by touching hot glass or open flames. You
can protect kids (and adults too) by adding a
barrier in front of your fireplace, such as a:
• Safety screen that attaches to the
fireplace and prevents tiny hands from
touching the hot glass behind it
• Safety gate that attaches to surrounding
walls that creates a barrier between
people and hot flames and glass
• Fireplace screen that’s free-standing and
sits on the fireplace hearth.
Cuddling around the fire is a snug way to
spend time with family and lets you watch out
for everyone’s safety.
— Amy Sawchenko i l l u s t