Mushroom & roasted
This rich tasting soup is full of delicious squash
flavour and the luscious texture of mushrooms.
You can stir in the mushrooms or serve them on
top of the soup for added flair. Recipe developed
by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke
• 1 small butternut squash, about 2 lbs/1 kg
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 Tbsp. ( 25 ml) fresh parsley, chopped
• 1 tsp. ( 5 ml) curry powder (optional)
• 1/4 tsp. (1 ml) freshly ground pepper
• 4 cups (1 l) no salt added chicken broth
• 2 tsp. ( 10 ml) canola oil
• 1 package ( 8 oz/227 g) mushrooms, thinly
• 1 tsp. ( 5 ml) chopped fresh rosemary, or 1/4
tsp. (1 ml) dried
• 1 tsp. ( 5 ml) chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 tsp.
(2 ml) dried
• 2 Tbsp. ( 25 ml) goat cheese (optional)
Peel and remove seeds from squash and chop
into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces and place in large
bowl. Add 3 of the garlic cloves, parsley, curry
powder, if using, pepper and 1/3 cup (75 ml)
of the chicken broth and stir to coat. Spread
onto parchment-lined baking sheet and roast in
425˚F (220˚C) oven for about 40 minutes or until
tender and golden.
Meanwhile, in large non-stick skillet, heat oil
over medium high heat and cook mushrooms,
remaining garlic, rosemary and thyme for about
8 minutes or until golden brown and liquid has
evaporated; set aside.
Scrape butternut squash into blender and puree
with 2 cups (500 ml) of the broth until smooth.
Pour into saucepan and add remaining broth.
Bring to a simmer. Ladle into soup bowls and top
with mushrooms and crumble goat cheese on
top to serve.
Per serving (including goat cheese):
140 calories, 3. 5 g total fat (1 g saturated fat,
0 g trans fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 70 mg sodium,
24 g carbohydrate, 3 g dietary fibre, 5 g sugars,
7 g protein
Maple mashed potatoes with
turnips & parsnips
Mellow turnips and parsnips mash well with
potatoes—pure maple syrup brings out their
natural sweetness, and ginger and nutmeg add
warmth to a classic comfort dish.
• 2 medium turnips, peeled and diced
• 2 large parsnips, peeled and diced
• 2 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and
• 2 Tbsp. ( 30 ml) milk
• 1 Tbsp. ( 15 ml) non-hydrogenated margarine
• 1 Tbsp. ( 15 ml) pure maple syrup
• 1/4 tsp. (2 ml) ground ginger
• 1/4 tsp. (1 ml) ground nutmeg
• 1/4 tsp. (1 ml) white pepper
Put the turnips, parsnips and potatoes into a
medium pot and cover with cool water. Bring to a
simmer over medium-high heat and cook for 20
minutes, or until a chunk of each vegetable can
be easily pierced with the tip of a knife.
Drain well, and mash with a potato masher or
pass through a food mill. Stir in milk, margarine,
maple syrup, ginger, nutmeg and pepper. Taste
and adjust seasonings, and serve immediately.
Per serving: 120 calories, 2 g total fat (0 g
saturated fat, 0 g trans fat), 0 mg cholesterol,
65 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate,
3 g dietary fibre, 7 g sugars, 2 g protein
Our Meal Deal recipes have been analyzed by regis
All recipes meet healthy eating guidelines. For mor