Our Meal Deal recipes have been analyzed by registered dietitians with AHS Nutrition Services.
All recipes meet healthy eating guidelines. For past recipes, visit applemag.ca.
Winter’s end chowder
Almost any vegetable that inspires
you can be transformed into hearty
• Canola or olive oil, for cooking
• 1 large onion, finely chopped
• 2 stalks celery, chopped (include
• 1 large carrot, diced
• 1 red bell pepper, seeded and
• 2 Tbsp. ( 30 ml) flour
• 4 cups (1 l) low-sodium chicken
or vegetable stock
• 2-3 thin-skinned potatoes,
washed and diced
• 1 cup (250 ml) corn kernels
• 2 tsp. ( 10 ml) fresh thyme leaves
• 1 cup (250 ml) milk or ½ cup
(125 ml) half & half (or to taste)
• 1/4 cup (60 ml) chopped fresh
In a medium pot, heat oil over
medium-high heat. Add the onion
and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until
Add the celery, carrot and red
pepper and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
Shake in the flour and stir to coat
the vegetables. Add the stock,
potatoes, corn and thyme, and bring
to a simmer. Reduce the heat and
cook until the potatoes are tender.
Add the milk and cook just until
heated through. Serve hot with
chopped fresh parsley.
Analyzed using 1% milk. Per serving
(1/6 of recipe): 150 calories,
3. 5 g total fat (1 g saturated fat,
0 g trans fat), 5 mg cholesterol,
140 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate,
8 g protein, 3 g fibre, 7 g sugars.