Deep, measured and mindful
breathing is calming and invigorating.
“We have to breathe in order to get energy, as well as
for balancing and harmonization,” says Dr. Steven Aung,
a professor in the Department of Medicine and Family Medicine
at the University of Alberta, and a pioneer in the integration of
Western, traditional Chinese and complementary medicine.
Good breathing activities include yoga, meditation, tai chi,
qi gong, and any cardio activity from biking to running stairs.
“Breathe slowly, evenly and regularly, and you can achieve
your goal of good health. That will keep a person
healthy, happy and balanced,” Aung says.
19. Hydrate. Choose water and
drink it throughout the day.
20. Move more. Try a physical activity
that intrigues you: orienteering,
wall climbing, Zumba or Pilates—
whatever excites you.
21. Raise the curtain. Have a
family entertainment night:
dance, sing, stage a play or tell
stories and jokes.
22. Weigh yourself regularly.
23. Know your Body Mass Index
(BMI), which is based on your
weight and height. Download
the Alberta Health Services app
on the App Store and Google Play.
24. Nurture. Care for your spiritual
and emotional health; find hope,
purpose and peace through religious
and community support groups.
29. Ride safe. Take the child safety
seat and booster seat “YES”
tests posted with this story
30. Get a boost(er). Check to
see if your and your family’s
immunizations are up to date.
31. Jump in. Walk, jog or run in
water. It’s a great workout and
easy on your joints. Aquasize
Laugh. It reduces stress and
anxiety, increases endorphins,
increases oxygen levels throughout your body—plus it’s fun.
27. Practise gratitude. This week,
write five things for which you’re
grateful. Share them with your
28. Brush and floss every day.
Good dental hygiene ensures good
overall health, for a lifetime.
Breathe. Take a few moments
today to breathe deeply.
It clears body and
Embrace reading. Start a
family book club or read aloud to
one another at home, in the park
or on vacation. It’s time well spent.
33. Work up a sweat. Try hot yoga,
running or biking. Sweating
cleanses the body and skin
from the inside out.
34. Leave the car. Walk, run,
jog, cycle, inline skate or take
public transit when you can.
35. Joyful. Do something that
brings you joy and satisfaction.
36. Try vegetarian. Check out
healthyalberta.ca for recipe ideas
such as vegetarian chilli, hummus
37. Play. It’s how children learn
and you can learn more about
38. Lend a hand. Volunteering
keeps you active and connected
to your community.