First thingsapplemag.ca 11
The seasonal tradition ofspring cleaning is about tidying,refreshing and organizing yourhome to better enjoy it in the monthsahead. Our time-tested tips can makehousehold tasks easier, more affordableand, dare we say, highly satisfying.
1. Daunted by housework? You canbreak cleaning into small tasks so itfeels manageable and rewarding—clean one room a night or weekend, ordust one day and wash floors another.
Simple, effective ways to tidy your home
Cleans most surfaces, mirrors, glass,
stainless steel, etc. Not recommended
on granite countertops.
• Combine 1 part white vinegar with 3
parts warm water in a squirt bottle
• Use a microfibre cloth for best
results on mirrors, glass, steel, etc.
2. Pass it on: Donating clothing andbedding frees up space, and tatteredclothes can be recycled into newcleaning rags.
3. Save yourself: Easy, healthy,
homemade solutions can greatly
reduce your cost of cleaning. For less
than five dollars, a simple vinegar and
water solution can clean countertops,
sinks, stainless steel, mirrors and
more. Add a drop of dish soap to
the solution to clean dust and grime
that accumulates on windowsills,
tracks and screens, as well as walls,
baseboards, doors and tiles. Borax is
an alkaline mineral salt that disinfects,
freshens and shines sinks, showers,
toilets, tubs and washing machines;
20 Mule Team is the most commonbrand of borax. A paste of vinegar andbaking soda removes baked-on greasefrom pots, pans, ovens and stovetops,and shines stainless steel sinks.
4. Get fresh: Remove allergens andfreshen curtains, furniture covers,bedding, dust skirts and more withlaundry soap, half a cup of borax anda quarter cup of vinegar. You can alsouse this gentle solution to freshenclothing, towels and dishrags. Hanginglight-coloured laundry outside alsonaturally freshens and whitens fabrics.Odours and dust can be removed fromyour mattress by sprinkling on bakingsoda and vacuuming (with a brushattachment) 30 minutes later.
— Amy SawchenkoSimple homemade solutions can keep your home fresh and tidy this spring.
See this story on applemag.ca forrecipes to clean grime, bathrooms andlaundry