Publicly fundedcontinuing care
Continuing care servicesinclude home care,supportive living, long-termcare and palliative care. Seestory on page 25.
You or a family member,friend, neighbour or ahealth-care professional canrequest home care servicesfor you. Following anassessment, a plan of carewill be created.
Your care plan will be basedon your needs.
• North Zone Home Care
• Edmonton Zone HomeCare
• Central Zone Home Care
• Calgary Zone Home Care
• South Zone Home Care
Alberta Blue Cross
The Government of Alberta providespremium-free Alberta Blue Crosscoverage for seniors for health-relatedservices not covered by the AlbertaHealth Care Insurance Plan.
• health.alberta.ca (search “coveragefor seniors benefit”)
• Blue Cross and many other providershave other supplementary healthplans (e.g., dental, vision, travel) forseniors.
Alberta Hospice Palliative CareAssociation
• Information about end-of-life andpalliative care in hospices across theprovince.
Alberta Supports Contact Centre
Seniors Programs and ServicesInformation Guide
• health.alberta.ca (search “seniorsprograms and services guide”)
• The Government of Alberta’s annualguide to provincial seniors programsand supports, including financialassistance, housing, health andrecreation, leisure and many othertopics.
Directory of Seniors Centres in Alberta
• health.alberta.ca (search “directoryof seniors centres”)
• Where to find the seniors centre inyour community, complete with alisting of services.
• Follow the links to downloademergency wait times, health-carelocations and other importantcontacts to your mobile device.
Path to Care
• Information about your treatment asyou move from acute care back toyour community.
Seniors abuse help
• Call if in danger or in need of police,fire or emergency services.
Family Violence Information Line
• This 24-hour toll-free number isavailable seven days a week andprovides information, advice andreferrals. Service is provided in morethan 170 languages.
Safeguards for Vulnerable AdultsInformation and Reporting Line
• Call toll-free to report the abuse of anadult receiving publicly funded careor support services (protection forpersons in care).
Wills & estate plans
Alberta Justice – Planning Ahead forYour Will
• justice.alberta.ca (search “planningahead for your will”)
• Information on wills, estate plans,
personal directives, enduring powers
of attorney, adult guardianship and
• Also see story on page 21.
• health.alberta.ca (search “sayingfarewell handbook”)
• A guide to assist in the processes ofdying and death.