Information, services and programs
for seniors and their families
Needs vary, so seniors’ health care in Alberta comes in all shapes and sizes. Our listingscontain information, services and programs available to you and your family.
If you’re unfamiliar with seniorshealth care or don’t know exactlywhat you’re looking for, start withthe following.
• Free health advice and information24 hours a day from Alberta
Health Services’ nurses.
• Online health and wellnessinformation and tools to help youmanage your health.
Alberta Health Services
• Online seniors programs, servicesand facilities.
• health.alberta.ca (click on theseniors tab).
• Information on seniors benefits,assistance programs and activities.activities.
• Programs and services to supportseniors and help their caregivers.
Alberta Supports Contact Centre
• Call if you have questions aboutsocial supports and health benefitsfor seniors that are provided bythe Government of Alberta.
Addiction & mental health
Mental Health Help Line
• Confidential and anonymous help
• For more on mental health, visit
• Free, confidential, 24-hour support.Provides information and locations ofaddiction services offices near you.
Addiction Service Directory
• albertahealthservices.ca (search“addiction service directory”)
• A listing of addiction services offeredor funded by AHS.
Canadian Association for SuicidePrevention
• Crisis services serving Alberta.
Advance care planning
• myhealth.alberta.ca (search “advancecare planning”).
• Step-by-step information on thinkingabout and writing down health-carewishes.
Office of the Public Guardian
• humanservices.alberta.ca(search for “office of the publicguardian”)
• Provides decision-making optionsfor individuals who are unableor may become unable to makepersonal, non-financial decisions forthemselves.
Alberta Caregivers Association
• Information, programs and referralsto help caregivers manage their careand stay healthy.
The Medically At-Risk Driver Centre
• ualberta.ca (search “resources forseniors and family members”)
• Mobility guides, alternativetransportation and resources for nondrivers.
Exercise & fall preventionAlberta Centre for Injury Controland Research
• Fall prevention information.
Family doctorFind a family doctor
AHS Immunization Clinics
• 811 Health Link
• Find the clinic closest to you; flu
vaccines are free to anyone who
works, lives or studies in Alberta.
AHS nutrition programs and services
• albertahealthservices.ca/3058.asp (search “nutrition programs andservices”)
• Click the second link, and search byname, topic or zone.